Sunday, March 23, 2008

Sense, A Small Slice of Heaven, and a Dog Named Blue

















Growing up in Minneapolis, I would haunt the local record stores. One day, I was in Down in The Valley, over by Crosstown and as I was flipping through the CDs, I heard the most angelic, pop anthems playing over the store's speakers. I asked the dude behind the counter what this wonderful music was and he told me it was the Lightning Seed's Sense.
 
I bought the record and it has stayed with me the rest of my life. When I lost my dog Blue as a sophomore in high school, I cried and cried, listening to "A Small Slice of Heaven," 'cause that's what Blue was to me for the short time I had her.

When I was around 21 I went down to Marin County where I met my older half-brother for the first time. Guess what cassette he had in his car? Sense. We bonded over that. You've got to realize that most people've never heard the record. I've got this feeling you either love it, or you hate it. It's definitely an acquired taste.  But to my ears, it is perfect pop music. I've never really gotten into their other LPs, but this one is a true, under-appreciated classic.
        
I'm always overjoyed when I'm looking through someone's music collection and I come across Sense. It's like you've found a musical brother, a small slice of heaven, a memory of blue. Try it sometime, and maybe you'll understand too. If you'd like to try a slice of Sense, simply click on the title of this post.

3 comments:

Apedog said...

Just had my first slice of Sense. Its pretty tasty.

poorwesternsaint said...

i've always had an affinity for "cloudcuckooland" as it was my intro to LS, but i've always liked "life of riley" & this album as well.

Maury Souza said...

mike--

I've pulled out Cloudcuckooland and dusted it off. I'm planning on giving it another spin/try.

My brother Chet LeFrain always loved that one as well.

--Maury